Monday, September 1, 2008

Addison's Room Makeover!

We made over our guest room a couple of months ago into a "princess" room for Addison and I am just now getting it posted!!! She has been sleeping in her "big girl" bed now for about a month and a half. It was an easy transition; in fact, she has never been much of a fan of getting up in the mornings and now that she is snuggled up in a bed that is way more comfortable than the "hard as a brick" crib mattress, it is definitely not any easier. I was somewhat dreading moving her because she was so easy about going to sleep in her crib; literally, since she was 9 months old, we laid her in the crib wide awake and said "night, night - I love you" and she rolled over and went to sleep (here's to hoping baby #2 will do the same)! I was scared that she might not continue this tradition, but I was wrong, now we read a story, turn out the lights, get "my hug and my kisses", nose kisses, a "good night - I love you" and she is out until we wake her in the morning! Now, don't get me wrong, we have had a couple of nights in which she struggles to go to sleep and after about 10 minutes of trying she calls out for either Lee or I to come "lay down with me" and of course we are happy to accomodate.


Before...our guest bedroom! Lots of random furniture from both of our college days, a couple of wedding gifts, and some random stuff we just didn't know where else to put it!

A slide show of the makeover process!
We did the majority of the work over one weekend; I was really proud of Lee because I was determined! We had big plans for July and I wanted to be able to enjoy the rest of the summer as well as the fact that I was feeling pretty good and pregnancy is so unpredictable that I didn't know what my future might hold. Friday night, after work, we picked out paint and picked up supplies then headed home. I wanted to get the room cleaned out so that I could tape it off while Lee was at work on Saturday and it would be ready for the first coat when he got home. Well, he outdid my expectations, and we cleaned out the room, taped it off, and he painted around the sockets, baseboard, windows, and ceiling before we went to bed on Friday night! So, we got the first full coat on on Saturday night and even had time to run out for supper while it dried and he put the first stain on the toy box (we have had this unfinished toy box since Christmas!). Sunday morning and afternoon, he finished it up and we moved the bed in before calling it a weekend! The bed that she is sleeping in is an antique sleigh bed that was Lee's as a child and it is absolutely gorgeous! I was a little nervous at first because it is definitely not a toddler bed and stands way above the ground with the mattress and box springs on it, but she hasn't fallen out yet (although I still haven't made it one night without checking on her)! The bedside table was in Lee's room as well. During the last months, we have been putting together the finishing touches. Since we are leaving the dresser/changing table in the baby's room, we were in search of a piece of furniture to hold shorts, shirts, shoes, etc. We found the perfect cubicle organizer at Target that fits great in her closet and it is cute! The bedding came from Target as well, it was a birthday present from Da'be and Nana and we love it! We picked up a cheap bookcase at Lowe's so that if it doesn't survive the crayon marks, bangs, and scratches that I am sure are to come, it won't be that big of a deal. Da'be made some gorgeous curtains and even had Uncle Gary cut out a crown for a topper, as well as found a "Princess" applique to go above the closet. There are a couple of items in Addison's room from my childhood as well, the picture above the bed used to be in my room and we just found a new frame for it and also the table and chair in the corner was mine and CC's growing up! We are extremely pleased with how everything turned out and appreciate everyone's help! Lee still can't believe that he now has two pink rooms in his house and at first, was refusing to paint another room pink, but I convinced him that you can't have a princess room that's not pink!!!


After...a room fit for a "princess"
The toy box...so nice to get all of the toys out of a wicker basket in the living room!



The beautiful curtains handmade with love...from Da'be

2 comments:

The Hutto Family said...

Addison's new Room looks GREAT! It is definitely perfect for Princess Addison! I am so proud of her sleeping in her big girl room.

Anonymous said...

Addison your room looks great! I know you are loving it. We are proud of you for sleeping in your big bed. Deb and Popa